Here are a few more interesting facts to know. Thank you to our Rowan Music Industry intern Xavion Collier for researching Ms. Cann for this email.
- Clara Wieck was a child prodigy on piano and also sang and played violin
- Clara was a superb performer and began a new trend of performing from memory at the age of 13
- She fell in love with Robert Schumann and married him in opposition to her father
- Clara and Brahms had an especially close relationship, but she never remarried in the 40 years after Robert's early demise
- Florence Price taught Margaret Bonds composition
- Ms. Cann has degrees from Cleveland Institute of Music and Curtis
- On February 7, Ms. Cann received the 2022 Andrew Wolf Chamber Music Award, a $25,000 award
- On March 17, Ms. Cann will be awarded the Sphinx Organization's Medal of Excellence, which comes with a $50,000 career grant
- Ms. Cann has directed children's choruses for Play on Philly and directs music at First Baptist Church of Philadelphia
- Michelle Cann plays violin and trombone
Are you ready for a fabulous concert on March 13? See you at 3:00. Tickets and more information here.